Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

We should really attempt to agree - this isn't "difficult" stuff

"So far, so good."

Not really. I've spent less time with speaker cables and I've compared single, bi as well as tri wire configurations as well as different lengths. With this kind of apples to oranges kind of comparison there is far more likelyhood of hearing differences.

And no I don't feel this lack of "fairness" in these comparisons in anyway takes away from the final decision I made in purchasing one cable over another.

The physical differences between auditioned interconnects are much less however there are differences none the less. Connector type, material as well as construction quality quickly come to mind.

"Of course all cables have a sound."

No. Cables do not have a sound - they can only effect the performance of the system to which they are connected.

This is equally true of speaker cables as well as interconnects - regardless of whether or not we hear a difference or not. We are not hearing cables/interconnects, we are hearing their effects on the connected components.

"They are all made of different materials, in different configurations with different connectors and differing amounts measured of R, C and I. It would be amazing if they didn't sound different."

You're preaching to the choir - I don't disagree. However some cable configurations are so similar that there are no differences.

"While the impedence interactions of the components can effect their sound, cable sonic signatures are repeatable with different equipment."

Only to the degree which the design of the connected components allow themselves to be effected by the interconnects or cables. If KCAG allows deeper bass than PBJ I would conclude the the differences between the RCL of the interconnect is what is responsible for the difference. However how noticible that difference is going to be on the output depends on the i/o characteristics of the connected components.(see note below)

The fact that the difference is more or less obvious is not a function of the resolving power of the connected components. It's a function of the component design, ie. the i/o characteristics in particular.

note - Of course the systems ability to reproduce deep bass has something to do with how noticable that difference will be as well. But a system short on bass might better reveal this difference as well or better than one with an adequete bass response in the first place. Ie. in the system cable of reproducing the full dose of bass it would be less noticible if some was missing than a system that was struggling to reproduce it in the first place.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • We should really attempt to agree - this isn't "difficult" stuff - Don Till 13:41:28 04/16/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.