Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Ok, so here's my theory...

Most amplifiers have some form of feedback implemented by sampling the output at or close to the speaker terminals. Amp works to keep the output voltage close to the original (or a multiple thereof).

Bi-wiring avoids any interactions between currents (and attendant fields) of the high- and low-pass sections of the speaker because the two sections only meet at (or near) the place where the amp can exercise control over the signal. In other words, the only wiring common to woofer and tweeter is now inside the amp's feedback loop.

Single wiring allows currents flowing to and from the woofer (actually to the low-pass xover section) to modulate the signal presented to the high pass xover section because the cable has a non-zero impedance.

I'm still not convinced this is right, so I need to think about it some more....

Perhaps there is an analogy to good grounding techniques. I was taught to do the thought experiment of putting a small resistor in place of every ground connection in a piece of electronic equiment and looking at the ways in which things like capacitor charging currents can modulate ground voltages.

Peter

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.