Home Asylum Feedback/Support

Audio Asylum feedback, support and feature wish list.

RE: Acoustic Research red box speakers

I also have a pair of Red Box II's and had a pair of original Red Box spkrs. The originals are 2 way 8" paper woof and a (maybe 2"?)paper tweet that sounded quite good imho, quite smooth with decent detail. The originals had a kid attack which ate the tweet and I could never find a suitable replacement. The xover was just a resistor or capacitor (I don't know electronics) across the tweet terminals.
The Red Box II is a smaller cab (around .35 cub ft, the Orig RB was around.45 or .50 cub ft) and it has a 6.5" poly woof and a small (1.5) mylar dome tweet, with the same type of xover. They are still in daily use and also sound pretty good, to me a little harder and more brash than the orig, tho. The orig were starting to get woof rot on the foam surrounds, but the RB II woofer has a rubber surround and is holding up well, even surviving a small cellar flood. Here is a page I found:
www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/.../137/832214/AR+Red+Boxes

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Acoustic Research red box speakers - tomb in Maine 08:43:36 05/12/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.