Home Asylum Feedback/Support

Audio Asylum feedback, support and feature wish list.

RE: Rod, what's the current bandwidth/page views use of AA?

We use 5 servers:

1) Dell 2850, dual 3GHx CPUs, 4GB RAM, dual SCSI backplane with 2-73drives mirrors and 4-300GB drives in RAID 5, runs www and cgi (registration.Imate Systems)

2) Dell 2650, dual 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 5-73drives in RAID 5 for db server. Almost 4.6 million records in the main forum table.

3) Dell 2650, dual 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, dual SCSI backplane with 2-18GB drives mirrors and 3-73drives in RAID 5, runs Classifieds, mail, DNS and sme other misc web sites, this one is under utulized and will be eventually be taking over search

4) Dell 2550, dual 1.2Ghz CPUs, 4GB RAM, 4-18GB drives, runs Search and Image Gallery

5) Dell 2450, dual 922Mhz, 1GB RAM, 4-18GB drives, old www server, will be redeployed for mail and DNS.

Then we've got an old Dell 1300, 400Mhz and a couple of older machines that we use for test db server and whatnot. I like to replace machines on a 5 year cycle, so the 2450 and 2550 and the test servers are over due. We could probably do just fine with the first 3 and decommission the old test servers and uue the 2450 and 2550 for test. The other option is to use one as a db slave server which would be nice for backup and disaster recovery, not that the db doesn't get backed, it does, but you'd lose up to a day's data potentially.

Bandwidth and page views have been fairly stable at 9-10GB per day and 700-900K page views. Since moving the site over to the new server, page views seem to have gone up a bit, so people were probably reading less as the old server was over loaded and getting a bit slow. I haven't got the batch script going to parse the logs, but the new server is likely sending a lot less data as everything is compressed now, so it's like we added 2/3s more bandwidth.

-Rod

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.