Home Asylum Feedback/Support

Audio Asylum feedback, support and feature wish list.

Select User Name prompt annoyance solved*** ! Netscape Beta 8.0 ***I hope

Mates,

So many people have apparently had the problem of that relentless prompt to choose a user name I thought I should repeat my reply to Rod below. This is a shorter version! If this is not allowed please delete.

Yes, sorry about the repeat request. I'm so dense- and English my second language- that when you sent me to various previous answers, it took me a long time to find the important words- the four simple words and a kind of number that would change my life forever- which you uttered, I thought with a kind of forceful style: "It's a Netscape 7.x glitch."

You have shown a light upon barren shores and in a flash I formulated a plan! And for once, something I learned around here didn't require eventual fruitless trips to Ebay.

Better late than always, I was pleased to learn that there is indeed, a revised Netscape in the works. Could a newer Netscape possibly not do be doing that thing that made 7.2 on this site a living hell for the last five or six months? Please?

And the gentler, more discerning of the public who own computers and have Internet service may download the Beta of Netscape version 8.0 (about 13MB I think):

http://browser.netscape.com/nsb/download/default.jsp

This will import all your bookmarks and settings and start and run similarly to the 7.x versions. I'm planning that it also leaves my Netscape 7.2 intact and functional in case the Beta has problems. So far I seem to be able to run 7.2 and 8.0 side by side with no problems.

Sound the trumpets!

Version Beta 8.0 does not (so far) display the "user name" prompt box when making any action on this site. I'm looking into all the settings and preferences- they had to go and make it all slightly different!

Also, I had another tiny annoyance with 7.2 on the Asylum: it would automatically show in the subject of the posting box the title of my last post on that forum regardless of the thread I'm responding to. I would have to delete the old subject line every time and try and think of something clever to say about 12AU7s. A small thing, but relentless.

So, Netscape 8.0 = pesky user name cured in just seconds- perhaps? I just hope it doesn't explode my old emails or turn my WordPerfect purple. It may be my imagination but it seems to be running a bit faster than 7.2.

I tell you Rod, I'm amazed to learn how incredibly annoying the user name thing was. I really was going to have to quit visiting here. It's an oldie: "Why are you hitting yourself in the head with that hammer?" "Because it feels so good when I stop."

The horror is over- I hope. You know, the user names I had to choose from- about every five damn seconds, was a list of 27 Bambi B's.

Next time a really tough problem.

Cheers,

Bambi B

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Select User Name prompt annoyance solved*** ! Netscape Beta 8.0 ***I hope - Bambi B 00:54:01 04/27/05 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.