Home Asylum Feedback/Support

Audio Asylum feedback, support and feature wish list.

User name prompt solved*** ! Netscape Beta 8.0 ***at least for now..

Rod,

Yes, sorry about the repeat request. I'm so dense- and English my second language- that when you sent me to various previous answers, it took me a long time to find the important words- the four simple words and a kind of number that would change my life forever- which you uttered, I thought with a kind of forceful style: "It's a Netscape 7.x glitch."

You have shown a light upon barren shores and in a flash I formulated a plan! And for once, something I learned around here didn't require eventual fruitless trips to Ebay.

Better late than always, I was pleased to learn that there is indeed, a revised Netscape in the works. Could a newer Netscape possibly not do be doing that thing that made 7.2 on this site a living hell for the last five or six months? Please?

And the gentler, more discerning of the public who own computers and have Internet service may download the Beta of Netscape version 8.0 (about 13MB I think):

http://browser.netscape.com/nsb/download/default.jsp

This will import all your bookmarks and settings and start and run similarly to the 7.x versions. I'm planning that it also leaves my Netscape 7.2 intact and functional in case the Beta has problems. So far I seem to be able to run 7.2 and 8.0 side by side with no problems.

Sound the trumpets!

Version Beta 8.0 does not (so far) display the "user name" prompt box when making any action on this site. I'm looking into all the settings and preferences- they had to go and make it all slightly different!

Also, I had another tiny annoyance with 7.2 on the Asylum: it would automatically show in the subject of the posting box the title of my last post on that forum regardless of the thread I'm responding to. I would have to delete the old subject line every time and try and think of something clever to say about 12AU7s. A small thing, but relentless.

So, Netscape 8.0 = pesky user name cured in just seconds- perhaps? I just hope it doesn't explode my old emails or turn my WordPerfect purple. It may be my imagination but it seems to be running a bit faster than 7.2.

The appearance though is just dreadful. There is no reason other than perversity to shove the FILE EDIT VIEW, etc. bar into the upper right corner and very small light letters on a dark background. And there's a little spatula flipping a parrot onto a house icon, a policeman commanding a large cake to rise, a goose waving the "Wall Street Journal" at three nuns, two intertwined Volvos backing over Saturn and the nuns' bicycles- see what I mean?

I guess this leaves a bigger window, but most people have good-sized monitors (well, this one's 22"). Anyway, these compressedicons are not saving much space over buttons in a nice logical row.

It does display the current temperature for my zip code- and that is really useful when selecting a jacket for later, but I'd rather see what time it is. I don't know, I'll have to learn it- the solving of the user name thing is worth it.

For weeks I'm going to have to leave the cursor on these goofy icons until the little yellow label-it's cute like a Post-It comes out and says, "This [graphic with two bunnies defragging a local disk against it's will] icon means you're low on RAM and you haven't bought anything from Microsoft for quite some time." "We noticed."

I can't find any working options- I guess the Beta doesn't need multiple "themes" and colour choices to work out way the general thing goes. I hope this is not too early a version.

I'm sure in the future we can get "Afternoon in Marrakech " theme among thusands of others. I only just learned there are many many people making these in their spare time and I guess you can get some really wild brutally fundamental browser themes- just the thing to bring out the fiercesome jungle animal lurking in everyone over at Cables Asylum.

This one at the moment is really gooey looking -and in a weird aqua with orange accents.

Sorry to ramble on, but interface design is interesting.

I tell you Rod, I'm amazed to learn how incredibly annoying the user name thing was. I really was going to have to quit visiting here. It's an oldie: "Why are you hitting yourself in the head with that hammer?" "Because it feels so good when I stop."

The horror is over- I hope. You know, the user names I had to choose from- about every five damn seconds, was a list of 27 Bambi B's.

Next time a really tough problem.

Cheers,

Bambi B

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • User name prompt solved*** ! Netscape Beta 8.0 ***at least for now.. - Bambi B 00:46:05 04/27/05 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.