Home Asylum Feedback/Support

Audio Asylum feedback, support and feature wish list.

Re: Improvements to the Forum

We've discussed this many times. There are both pluses and minuses to the format for these other forums. One thing that I personally hate about them it that they are not thread oriented. You can't look at one post, but rather, you get a full page of posts related to the topic. Following a divergent conversation within a thread is quite difficult. For this and other reasons, a large percentage of our users prefer this software.

Now, what many people miss since the Classic view is the default view, is that we do have optional views of the Asylum that do exactly what you've requested along with a whole lot more. The link below will allow you to see threads based on the last post or update. You can also look at only threads with posts in the last 24 or 48 hours or since your last visit. (You must login and accept cookies to use the Last Visit option). You'll also notice an option on the bottom of the thread view page to make any variant of that your default view.

So, in the end, we actually have far more sophisticated software though it appears deceptively simple. However, due to it's old roots, we do archive after some period of time. That's something that we might consider changing or at least allowing more pages. Many people also miss the Next Page link, so things do stay around more than a few days. Of course, some forums do still get archived after a week or so while others don't require it for a month or more.

In any case, I don't notice people on these other forums posting to old threads that often. It's nice, but the vast majority of the threads on those forums still die off in a few days depending on the activity level of the forum. Here, people will normally just post a new message a refer to the old thread if there's something more to discuss.

I have been planning to change our archiving software to do it automatically and to only archive the threads that haven't had posts for X period of time. When and if that happens, I could also perhaps add more pages for active threads. I believe that would accomplish what you're after and it'll make our moderators lives easier too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.