Home Asylum Feedback/Support

Audio Asylum feedback, support and feature wish list.

no sound from right channel of ancient stereo

I dig music, but I know nada about stereo electronics. But I do have thousands of LPs, cassettes, etc that I want to put onto CD. I know how to do this, but being a poor sap whose ex-wife (aka "biach") gave him the 20+ year old stereo, I have come across a problem: I can't get any sound out of the right channel. I ripped the thing apart, and checkjed it out, and it works as well as it did (miracle!) but the mo'dicker still won't output from the right channel.

Any ideas on how I test this? I want to use it rather than a newer system because it has massive I/O ports that will give me the power I need to plug it into my PC, allow me to plug in a tape deck, etc. I have the audio tools to transfer and cleanup results. (I plan to record to WAV files so I will have my beloved jazz, blues, and rock music from the 20s to the present wherever I go. I am poor (divorced and supporting kids at home and in colege), and can't afford a hell of a lot of $$$ to fix this problem, but it must be do-able. This is a very simple system that is post vacuum tube, but certainly not VLSI like the newer equipment. Hell, some of the stuff I don't even to clean up that much because the hisses, pops, and scratches bring back too many good memories - you know like the party where the drunk kept playing Velvet Underground's Heroin over and over until he finally scratched a certain section. I am a music lover, but not an audiophile in the sense thast I spend all my money on equipment.

Besides kids and ex-biach, I also have other interests that I can't ignore (e.g. '56 Ford pickup with 83K original miles) that I am working on.

I Know that this emai is too damn long, but since I am also unemployed, I would really like to use this time to convert my music collection to digital, instead of running into a problem like this at the outset. Minimum traces look good; everything works great - phono, amp, speakers, fuse, etc. I evcen have some minimal test equipment that I use for other electronics projects (I'm an all-around computer geek), but this problem is blowing my simple mind.

Appreciate any and all help from y'all, and if I was a christian I'd even say a prayer of light a candle for you; since I am not, you'll just have to accept my undying gratification, or suggestions on how to put an IFS on your old beater truck. .

Gracias,

Nick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - no sound from right channel of ancient stereo - weakgeek 03:26:15 11/01/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.