Home Asylum Feedback/Support

Audio Asylum feedback, support and feature wish list.

Re: why not do it as a Web site and/or service rather than a standalone app?

Actually, I don't think it is ideal for a few reasons. The UI interactions on a webapp are too minimal. Things like drag and drop, docked/undocked windows, tool sets, etc are a joy to work with when they are done correctly.

I do want a lite version of the app to run on Mysql/PHP however - but it would be for browsing only at this point, as synching the databases would not be fun. I plan on running this lite version on my Sharp Zaurus PDA (a linux based PDA, mine has a gig of memory and Apache/PHP/Mysql.

Serious data entry is no good on the web unless you use serious client scripting to accomplish that. I, personally, loathe javascript and wouldn't want to be on a project which made too much use of it. I've seen what happens when someone tries to make a really usable web interface with client side scripting - you end up with an app which is tied to not only a particular vendor's web browser, but all too often, a particular version of it. Javascript, again, could have been great as a Self type programming language but its implementation is terrible.

One man's strong opinions, I grant you that,
-Adam

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: why not do it as a Web site and/or service rather than a standalone app? - anevsky 21:56:33 08/28/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.