Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

RE: Fell for fake Amazon email. Damn i am mad at myself

What they will do is add your eMail address to a list of known responders, and sell the list. A list like that sells for the highest amount of cash.

It practically guarantees you will get more spam and phishing messages to that address in the future. Beware, it's fairly common to wait many months before the campaign starts, as this makes it more difficult for you to figure out exactly how and where they got your address in the first place.

Are you accepting HTML encoded eMails? You should switch to Plain Text Only, since you are about to have many irregular messages sent to your account. If you use Plain Text, they can't tell if you've viewed the message.

If you use HTML, they will include a 1x1 pixel image, and HTML images are stored remotely (on their server). So, if you view the message, and are set to view HTML, your eMail program will ask for the image, they will log that information and know you viewed it. As someone who views spam and phishing messages, you again will make a "hot" list of targets of the highest quality.

Set your eMail app to view Plain Text, there will be a button to load images for messages you trust, so there is no downside.

Edits: 05/01/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Fell for fake Amazon email. Damn i am mad at myself - gordguide 07:42:55 05/01/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.