Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Aren't paypal's decisions nonbinding outside of ebay?

I was under the impression that outside of eBay, on a site like audiogon, paypal may make a 'ruling', but you're pretty much on your own and it's symbolic only.

Is that not true anymore? I bought $400 worth of equipment a while back (last year) that arrived nonfunctional... Disputed with PayPal and was told that because it was outside of eBay, they could essentially shake their finger at the guy but could not get my money back. They told me to send the equipment back, with tracking #; which I did, and they decided in my favor and told him to send the $ back, but he didn't respond. It was basically up to him to obey the ruling or not.

If this has changed, then I'd feel more confident using paypal going forward. I could see the rationale behind their position, though; PayPal probably doesn't want to get in a dispute over say, two neighbors and a lawnmower, or something.

Edits: 09/21/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.