Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Anyone seen this scam on Audiogon???

I received a query about buying an amplifier I posted in Audiogon and
the buyer wanted to pay via a third party who "owed him money" via
certified check or the like. After accepting his offer, this is the
e-mail I received. Looks like some kind of money laundering scam to me, or some way to bilk unsuspecting audio shmoes out of their money.
What's your take on this???

Hello,
How are you doing today? I got the payment details and I got in touch with one of my clients who happen to be owing me an amount and asked him to ensure that the payment went out to you as soon as possible. However, I have just been notified by my client that the entire amount which he owes me was sent to you.

I instructed him to make out a payment for the sum $1,250 USD to you and not the whole amount he owes me. He owes me the sum of $5,400.00USD.

I was notified that he made out the payment for the whole of $5,400.00USD in form of money orders in your name instead of the amount that is supposed to be for the payment as agreed.

I will need you to be honest and sincere. I need you to assure me that immediately you receive the payment, you will cash it, withdraw your own payment and the excess, I will provide you all the information required in refunding the excess, peferreably via MoneyGram Money Transfer. I am aware of the wire charges. They are to be deducted from the excess funds.

Not to worry, I am sure we can handle this. All I need is an assurance that you can be trusted and that you can handle the situation. I do my business based on trust, it has always been very good with me, I hope that you will help me keep that record. I really will appreciate utmost sincerity from you.

Immediately the payment is received, you are to notify me so I will provide you with the instructions needed in refunding the excess and any information / direction required in doing the shipment. The payment is supposed to get to you next week. Upon confirmation of receipt of the funds, I will provide you all necessary instructions and information.

Please do acknowledge this message.

I await your reply.

Thanks with regards.

Roberto.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Anyone seen this scam on Audiogon??? - Bud 09:23:19 10/04/05 (16)

You can not post to an archived thread.