Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

It's not just PayPal

Paypal is as much a victim as you are. Paypal is only the most common example. I recieved similar "requests for verification" from Washington Mutual, Chase Manhattan and Bank of America. THEY ARE ALL PHONY!! (I didn't even have accounts with two of them.) Phony even though the email, logos, page look & feel appeared extremely (nearly perfectly) real. In effect PayPal is just another bank. Crooks go where the money is and banks have the money.

PayPal are trying to run a valid and useful service business. They have sent me a number or warnings NEVER to respond to any e-mail claiming to be Paypal that provides you a link to a page where you verify your account info. These are phishing expeditions. PayPal says they NEVER, EVER send email asking to to click a link to take you to a verification page NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!

Only contact PayPal through their normal website entry page and logon to you account. Do so ONLY on your own initative, directly using your browser's location bar. Then, and only then, can you log in to your account if need be. Never link to PayPal or any other financial institution by clicking a link provided by e-mail. NEVER, EVER provide ID, logon, SSN, password, drivers license to ANYONE unless YOU initiated the contact by going there directly through your browser.

If you get a request by e-mail that even remotely resembles what has been described -- don't sit there like a deer in the headlights pondering if you should or should not respond. DELETE THE %$5^&7^9%$%^&!!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • It's not just PayPal - sam9 10:16:52 08/26/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.