Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

That's the new PC world

I am married to one. My wifes family has been here since 1728. She has 5 relatives that fought in the revolution. One died at the battle of long island. Yet her parents, who were born in the 1920's spoke "dutch" first, not english. They didn't learn english until they went to school, and they both have heavy accents when they speak english.

Most people like them still refer to themselves as dutch, not germans. (and they are not amish and have nothing to do with them) Even though the slogan on the Grundsow Lodge flag for example says "Dietsche" they interpret that as "dutch", not german. They don't mean holland dutch when they say it, they consider themselves apart from the real dutch of course, but germans as well.

The politically correct world has started forcing them to be called pennsylvania german, but frankly, they don't and never did care. The flag translates to "Loving God in Heaven, leave me be the simple dutchman that I am"

If I see a result to this I'll post it. Like I said, unless this guy is a transient who can pick his whole life up and leave this area, he is going to pay the piper.

It's all about the music...

Edits: 06/10/05

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.