Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Re: Dealing with Audiogon fraud--whom to contact?

I am sorry to hear you may have lost your money.

If big bucks are involved, I would pay a consultation fee with an attorney to understand your options. I would also hire a private detective (or online search firm), to get as much as info from public records and credit reports as possible about this person and his family. Having his phone number, knowing where he/she works, and having the phone numbers of close family and friends could be helpful. Taking both these steps should not cost more than a couple of hundred dollars.

I suspect your local police will not be able to do much. Charging the seller may involve contacting his local prosecuter's office. Consider if you will be willing to travel if there is a trial.

How did you send the cashier's check? If by mail, then postal fraud can be charged and you should talk with the post office.

I would talk with my bank and in rare cases (for instance if the check was stolen) they can reverse the transaction.

Another option is filing in small claims court which is relatively in-expensive. If you can get a settlement, garnishing wages may be an option if you can determine where he/she works.

Lastly, your insurance may cover this loss since your money was stolen.

Again, the first step is to talk with attorney to know what is practical.

Lynn

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.