Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

You think THAT'S weird? How about this ....

About month ago, I ran an ad in the local Recycler, offering to sell an old Sony boombox. Asking price: $25. I get an e-mail wanting to know if I'll ship it to Nigeria, and if so, how much will it cost. And the would-be buyer says it's "urgent." I mail back, saying it will cost $200 to ship. This is for a $25 boombox, remember.

The guy e-mails back, saying that's just fine, but he needs it right way. Like they don't have Sony boomboxes in Nigeria? So I say I will ship it only when I have cash in hand. He offers to send a money order. I say fine, but I won't ship until it clears. He says it's urgent, how about PayPal. I say no. He gets all miffed that I won't "trust him." End of exchanges.

My question: What kind of idiot would pay $200 shipping on a common, readily available item worth $25? And what kind of idiot would believe that someone from Nigeria (scam capital of the Universe) would do so? What ARE these people up to?

PS: Since then, I've gotten several similar inquiries from would-be buyers in Nigera. For a $25 Sony boombox.

Amazing!

"Music is the medicine of a troubled mind." -- Walter Haddon, 1567

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • You think THAT'S weird? How about this .... - Big Dave 07:51:31 03/20/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.