Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Business Ethics in the cable industry...

I am increasingly becoming frustrated by the lack of ethics involved with some of the people in our hobby. Recently, I found an ad here at the asylum for a product with a similar application to one I designed. This individual/business essentially “cut and paste” the product description and highlights from my website and incorporated it into his website and his advertising for his version of this product. Punctuation and capitalization of certain phrases were identical, with virtually no attempt made to individualize the text for his own. To makes things worse, features that aren’t even possible with his product were being advertised based on my text.

On Monday I sent sending this person an e-mail expressing my disgust, and warned him to cease using the copyrighted text from my site, I received no response and saw no change in his website or ad. I sent another e-mail as a courtesy this afternoon essentially giving him until Monday to do the right thing.

That’s the way it was going to stay until Monday. However, I went to his site tonight and viewed his “renewed” ad at the asylum. Changes were indeed made, but they were superficial in nature and there are still “word for word” descriptions I created to describe my product.

Although I highly doubt this has done anything to curtail the sales of my product, it goes against my grain to “let this go” as a matter of principle. I'm tired of this B.S. and am not going to put up with it any more. I hope this individual sees the light and decides to operate a clean business based on his own ideas and merit.

My frustration is obvious, and I’m becoming increasingly disappointed at some of the business ethics I’m encountering in our hobby. I wish this was an isolated instance, but it is not.

I am giving this company/individual one final chance to clean-up before I identify them for all...

Best,

Chris VenHaus

Edits: 80/71/00 80/71/00

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Business Ethics in the cable industry... - ChrisVH 21:12:32 03/09/05 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.