Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

A new E-bay scheme

I had recently bid on a fairly epensive (non-audio) item on E-bay. I didn't win the auction, but came in second. I got a "second chance" e-mail listing the item number, and offering me the item at my bid price. The problem was, the e-mail was listed from someone other than the person who was selling the item I had bid on. I looked into the person the e-mail was from, and that person had one feedback, a positive. I tried to llok at the time the feedback was for, and got a message back saying that the item number was invalid, even though it was within the last couple of days. So I looked at the person who left the feedback, and that person was no longer a registered user That person had 10 positive feedbacks, all from individuals with 1 positive feeback. Looking more carefully, I noticed that all tne of this person's feedbacks had been left overa space of 35 seconds. The 10 feedback person had left positive feedbacks for 47 users, all who were still registered, all with invalid item numbers.
Obviously, this person is creating accounts with positive feedbacks. Why can't E-bay invalidate the feedbacks when they invalidate the items listed (as obviously occurred).
One needs to be careful with second chance offers. I think I have always declined them when I have gotten them (about five or six times), and would only take one from a seller whose record is pristine. Obviously it is important to check the source of sellers feedback. The one time I was explicitly cheated on e-bay, the seller had clearly worker to churn his account and accumulate positive feedbacks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - A new E-bay scheme - John N 23:28:26 02/12/05 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.