Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

A new and clever ebay / paypal scam - be careful!!

Hi All,
I had an attempted scam on my ebay account recently and I thought I'd warn you all. It seemed like a clever new twist.

I've been selling a number of drum parts on ebay recently so when I got a question from a potential buyer I didn’t think anything was amiss. The email looked EXACTLY like a regular ebay potential buyer inquiry. When I tried to click the item link in the email to make sure I knew to which item he was referring, it took me to an ebay sign-in page. It is normal for me to have to re-sign in sometimes when I go to ebay so I did sign in using my username and password. The page kept bouncing back when I hit 'enter'. I thought that was strange so I looked a little closer at the return email address and saw that it was actually from ebay UK and an even closer look showed it to be from a gmail account! I then realized that I just gave my private username and password info!! And I'd like to think I'm pretty scam savvy.

Luckily, I went to my account section on ebay and changed my password right away and alerted ebay about the fraud so I didn't suffer any real consequences but I wonder how many people never realize their error in this type scam until it's too late.

Best Regards,

Barry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - A new and clever ebay / paypal scam - be careful!! - Barry Kohan 15:38:09 02/03/06 (16)

You can not post to an archived thread.