Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Sonus Faber ad audiogon

I have concerns with a present ad on audiogon for a pair of Sonus Faber Cremonia Amator speakers. They are supposedly being sold by a daughter for her father's estate. They are being listed at a ridiculously low offer of $1000. They should be listed for 2 1/2 to 3 times the amount.

As would be expected, there are countless views of the ad. When I came across the ad, there were already 700 views of the ad. There was also a pending sale on the ad. I wrote and indicated I would be interested if the deal fell through. The seller wrote back indicating they were not sold and I could get them. I was very surprised as you would think they would have been sold 10 times already. I suspected a scam which is what I suspected when I wrote the first time.

I wrote the next day and asked how to pay. The seller came back and indicated to pay with a money order and send it over night via UPS/ FEDEX. It further made me suspect the ad. The money would have to be sent quickly so when the buyer does not get their item, there would be a lot of negative feedback links being posted. I continued to go along and wanted the full name/ address and telephone number.

The seller came back and gave an address and telephone number in Orlando Florida. That was totally different to the Zip given in the ad which was in New Jersey. I questioned seller. The seller (supposedly the daughter of the deceased owner) was in Orlando where father resided and she is tying up loose ends. I requested full address in New Jersey, but have not received a response.

I did a google of the address in Orlando and it is a commercial property that is for sale at the present time. I have not contacted the selling firm etc. but suspect it is an apt building from the details I looked at.

I indicated to seller I could have someone drop of money order and pick up the speakers from her. I have not received a response back yet.

I fear that a lot of audiogon buyers have sent funds and will be disapointed. I believe scammers to be operating this ad. Seems like with audio web not really up and running these days, the scammers are starting to hit audiogon more often. I have run into quite a few in the last couple of months.

While I have no solid proof, all the tell tale signs of a scam are there. Low price for a highly sought after item, different owner, different address, quick payment, non- recourse payment option. Only feedback on seller is by a new member of a couple of weeks ago. The only feedback for each is the one transaction. Whether there was a transaction is anyone's guess, but I would suspect not. Seller is Karenmaguire

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Sonus Faber ad audiogon - mitcho 23:01:45 11/26/05 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.