Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Bogus cashier's check?

Somewhere around here I have a bogus $5,000.00 cashier's check sent to me via Fed Ex from 35 Park Avenue, Maryland, Nigeria. I was supposed to ship a couple of compression drivers to an address in England and wire the remaining balance (about $4,000.00) to the scammer via Western Union.

The scam of course was the bogus cashier's check, which my bank would probably have accepted and credited my account accordingly. By the time the check would have been returned by the out-of-state bank it was drawn on, the drivers and most importantly the $4000.00 would have been long gone.

So what I did was call the bank that the cashier's check was drawn on, and over the phone they confirmed it was bogus. I managed to cost the scammer the Fed Ex fee and the cost of the long-distance international phone call he made to check up on why the money had not yet been sent to him via western union. Had a little fun with him on the phone, too, before he hung up on me.

Get lots of identifying information from him before you agree to the transaction, including his phone number, so that you can report him to the FBI, Interpol, the Nigerian Special Interrogation Police, or whoever (whether or not you actually go through with the reporting).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.