Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

The old 'westernunion check' payment scam; how's it work again? They must think I'm nuts..

I just advertised some amps in the UK, and after I responded to an initial enquiry got the following email.

Yes, I'm 99.99999% sure it's a scam but can't remember how they usually get their 'victim' seeing as I'm assuming no-one would let their sale item be picked up unless the money from the buyer had been 100% cleared by the bank and the cash was definitely in the seller's account.

After advertising these amps last night this is the second bogus offer I've received but the other was so obvious that I simply sent a quick reply of "P*** off"; with this second offer I'm wondering if I can string them along and maybe cause them some grief - even expense - before bailing out.

----- Original Message -----
To: chris redmond
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 3:44 PM
Subject: Payment and shipping arrangement E.A.R.- 519 valve monoblocs £2,750

Hi ,

Thanks for your mail, the price is fairly okay by me i will instruct my Secretary to issued the check to you but she will include shipping fees and as soon as you received the check you are to deduct your selling price and the remaining funds would be send via westernunion to my shipping company who will later come for the pickup of all my goods alongside the (E.A.R.- 519 valve monoblocs) am buying from you.

I will like you to get back to me with the Name that will be on th e check alongside your contact address so that payment can be made to you as soon as
possible.

Details needed below for the addression on the check:

Name to be on check :
Address where check will be received by you:
Phone Number's such as Mobile,Land Line and Office
Number.

For me to instruct my Secetary to issue the cheque in your name asap.
Thanks for your understanding in anticipation and hope to read from you asap today.
Regards....
; Kelly

ick.
Best Regards,
Chris redmond.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - The old 'westernunion check' payment scam; how's it work again? They must think I'm nuts.. - chris.redmond2@bushinternet.com 08:05:30 11/22/05 (6)

You can not post to an archived thread.