Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Don't ever pay for an Ebay item with a Money Order

I purchased an item on Ebay from a guy with 21 positve feedbacks and 0 negative. Well, he was smart and patient. After working for the summer to get the 21 positives, he sold 20+ items and just took the money (there have been many negative's posted and I have contacted the other buyers).

I paid with a money order. I realized I was being scammed about 2 days after I sent payment. I contacted Western Union and asked them to stop payment. They said they could not without written authorization. I told them my situation and asked if anything could be worked out (including taking the signed authorization to the local agent where I purchased the Money Order). They would not budge. I sent the required forms last Wednesday (one week ago). They were sent from Salt Lake to Colorado. It normally takes 1 day and at the most 2 days. This morning the guy cashed the check. I contacted Western Union and they assured me (in so many words) that they always take as long as they can to process stop payment / refund requests. This way, they do not have to get involved in the process (because their obligation has been met...the check was cashed..transaction complete). They also assured me that they would quickly cash the $12 check I was required to send with the stop payment request.

So beware. If you send a Money Order, there is no (practical) way to stop payment no matter what you do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Don't ever pay for an Ebay item with a Money Order - Robert S. 10:41:31 11/22/05 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.