Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Re: The Digital Conundrum.....

I can understand where you're coming from. However, the problem is two fold, in my experience.
The first is that many if not most of the transducers used have mixed polarities, or at the very least, severe timing problems between drivers. That simple issue clouds the perception of most listeners. There are polarity and time aligned designs on the market, but they are not universal. Price has no bearing on their design, BTW.
The second is the recording producers. Recordings are often deliberately recorded with mixed polarity. The Aphex Aural Exciter used by such singers (it is a voice synthesizer) as Linda Ronstadt, Neil Diamond, Barbara Streisand inverts polarity and adds a bit of EQ. Listen to Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound". All he does is to invert the polarity of the background instruments in relation to the singers.
Between the speaker designers and the recording producers, the results are chaotic. With speaker designers, you would think that if perfection and accuracy were the true goal, speaker designs would converge at a certain price point.
The chips are not the problem. The problems lie at both ends of the audio spectrum.

Of course your opinions and experiences may differ....

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: The Digital Conundrum..... - unclestu52 11:11:35 01/02/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.