Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Re: Could be wrong ...

You are thinking analog here. The digital signal is keyed to the change from 0 to 1, The direction of the change is immaterial for most digital signal storage. However, the Philips Redbook standard, IIRC, assigns a positive polarity to a positive change when going from 0 to 1, and a negative polarity when the signal goes negative from 0 to 1.
For pure data storage, the vector of the change is immaterial. Going from 0 to -1 is the same data wise as going from 0 to +1. Only with the DAC chip convention does this make a difference.

Alas, as other have stated, absolute polarity is not easily recognized, nor considered an important issue. Transducer designs with mixed or altered polarities dominate the industry, and most seem to simply accept it is an artifact of reproduced music. That maybe so for a budget system, but in a time where there are speakers reaching atmospheric heights, price wise, I find that inexcusable.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Could be wrong ... - unclestu52 18:09:45 12/31/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.