Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

eBay scam observations over the last week.

This has probably been mentioned before but stay away from any of the following:

-Any auction with an opening bid of $737 (no doubt this number will change.)
-Any NO RESERVE auction starting with a sub-$20 dollar opening bid on a very expensive item like a Musical Fidelity A5 amp, Rotel 1056 processor, etc. I have yet to see a legit NR auction with an opening $20 bid for items such as these.
-Any overseas auction that accepts "Other payment methods" in place of PayPal or credit cards.
-Any overseas auction that insists on Western Union or a bank transfer as the only acceptable payment method.
-Be very very wary of any overseas listing with an e-mail address in the description of the item - even if it has been provided for "questions" or "more info".
-Any item that was purportedly "purchased from customs".

If you do happen to contact a seller and they mention Square Trade or eBay sending you an invoice to respond to, STOP EVERYTHING. Do not provide them ANY personal information. eBay and Square Trade do not monitor, invoice, or encourage direct sales of any kind.

I run across these scams daily. Rotel, Musical Fidelity, Audio Research, even Naim, all seem to be regular favorites of the scammers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • eBay scam observations over the last week. - BrentDS 20:47:27 06/17/06 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.