Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Re: Audiogon Protecting Unscrupulous Sellers?

Audiogon absolutly protects unscrupuous sellers. Let me give you my experience.
I am going to give a very condensed version here.
I bid on a Audio Research CD player. Seller claimed it was less than 3 months old. After putting in the first bid I immediatly received a email from the seller offering to sell it to me at my opening bid price ( I was the third bid). I emailed back suggesting that he go back and read the rules for auction at Audiogon.
My bid was the highest and I received a email from the seller wanting a bank transfer. I emailed back asking for the serial number and date of purchase since the add said it was fairly new. Also, I suggested using a escrow account for which I would pay for any charges. First time I did this for a deal at Audiogon but, things weren't smelling right.
I then got a email telling me that actually he had already sold it to the first bidder! I contacted the first bidder by email and suggested he also look at the rules at Audiogon but, also told him that it was ok with me. I also suggested he keep in touch and let me know if there were any gltiches in the deal and told him about my reservations.
About a week later he emailed me letting me know that he had put money in Paypal but had never received the CD player. He contacted Paypal and got the original sellers account frozen.
Next thing I got a new email from the original seller telling me that his deal had fallen through and would I like to buy the CD player.
Both myself and the first "buyer" filed a greivance with Audiogon. Not a week went by before I see the same seller auctioning the same CD player on Audiogon. I immediatly contacted Audiogon, not only did they not stop the aucion, they now have me on some kind of watch list. It used to be when I posted the post would show up in a short time now whenever I make a posting sometimes days go by and sometimes it never shows up stating that the moderator didn't approve the post. And I am not any kind of flamethrower or pot stirrer.
I did try to post warning about the seller and the impending auction and got a warning from Audiogon!!! I answered their warning with the question "Did they know that right at this minute there was a fraudulent auction going on?" And, of course, gave them all the details.
When the auction ended I emailed the "winner" and suggested that he get the serial number of the unit from the seller before sending money just to make sure that it wasn't stolen or perhaps didn't even exist but, never heard back.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Audiogon Protecting Unscrupulous Sellers? - Roadmanager 13:44:59 05/12/06 (1)
    • hello - allegra+online 21:39:20 10/24/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.