SET Asylum

Reverse those budgets.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ SET Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

With a notional budget of $2K, I would recommend spending $1,500 on the amp and $500 on a pair of drivers. I would temporarily place the drivers in some home-made open baffles, such as those of the Briggs/JE Lab/MJ Sound variety. Alternatively, a simple back-loaded horn would be a nice idea (perhaps save up for a kit from Hasehiro, or someone similar). Good drivers, cheap baffle = maximum bang for buck.

After some time, I might upgrade or change the speaker housings to experiment with something else. Drivers you might like to try are Diatone copies, or something like these L Cao Alinico 8" speakers:

With that in mind, for an amp, you could target quality used items like this Almarro A318B or a Bottlehead Stereomour II integrated 2A3 amp (and find a nice soul to build it for you). This would probably provide very satisfying results very quickly - keeping your interest up and unveiling a path you perhaps had not previously considered.

Bottlehead.

Almarro.

Cheers.

Big J

"... only a very few individuals understand as yet that personal salvation is a contradiction in terms."

Edits: 06/26/17

Follow Ups: