Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

2 stage SE

"For single ended, my personal dogma demands a two stage amplifier (no preamp!) with directly heated pentode or triode output tube; low impedance power supply, direct coupling and a high transconductance driver tube capable of driving the output tube to clipping with an input sensitivity of 1Vrms."

I agree totally on a 2 stage amp with no preamp. I'm getting away with 6SN7 into 2a3 because I have a smaller room and don't listen loud. The HY69 and 5516 are unobtanium in the UK. I used EL38 for a while but I don't need to since I can use a 2a3, which I prefer to 300b. As driver I've had quite good results with the E180CC. Haven't tried the EC86 yet but I have some. Not direct coupled, but teflon coupling caps which are as transparent as I can find.

For rectification I preferred a 5U4 overall, but I do actually use SIC diodes in the power supply for the driver stage when I put that in a separate chassis. Essentially it's a 6SN7 line stage and the SIC diodes 1200v sound very nice. DC Link caps as last cap in the PSU and for the driver stage.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • 2 stage SE - andy evans 16:21:00 06/11/22 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.