Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

TAL - Jeff Korneff 45 Clone Mono Amplifers Review .......

Tube Audio Labs Jeff Korneff Clone 45 Tube Monoblocks Review.

I Received these Amplifiers about 7 weeks ago. Short Story - I love them! Longer story below.

I started this purchase by contacting Tube Audio Labs owner/builder Min Yang last Fall. I had heard many good things about TAL. Many happy customers and many different amplifier options. I had read on-line that he was building Jeff Korneff 45 tube Amplifer Clones. Jeff Korneff had quit building Amplifiers around 2010, and the used ones that went up for sale were gone instantly. Also, I had never seen a Jeff Korneff Monoblock Configuration, so a Custom Clone build was definitely an Answer for me, as my System Layout was with the Amplifiers close to my Speakers.

So, when I contacted Min, he was very open to most any customization that I had in mind. Min let me design the Tube and Transformer Layout on the Top of the Chassis, as well as requesting a Mirror Image of the Monoblocks, as this always looks pretty neat. I also got to request my favorite 'Audiophile' grade parts. I selected a Large 17"x 10" Wood Chassis, so there was plenty of room for components.

- Hammond metal-on-wood (walnut) chassis.
- Canadian Hammond power, choke, and filament transformers
- Takman and Kiwame CF signal resistors
- ASC oil filter caps
- Mundorf Silver Supreme oil caps
- Hashimoto output transformers
- Cardas Rhodium Binding Posts

Once we settled on a design, he told me his lead time was about 6 weeks, and since I was leaving for the winter, I did not want to receive them until Spring. So, I paid him ($3,000 - less final shipping of $550) for the Amplifiers with an agreed ship date around Mid March of 2021. I confirmed the design schematic with Jeff Korneff himself (Via E-mail) and yes indeed it is the circuit that he used to build.

So, I have been listening to them now for around 7 weeks. And have settled on the Old Globe Style RCA UX-245 Tubes, Sylvania 6SN7 'Tall Boy' Chrome Domes, and National Union JAN VT-244 (5U4G) Rectifier Tubes. I am driving 115db Oris Horns with these Amplifiers, and I bi-amp with Hypex Class 'D' Amps to my Klipschorn Bass Bins. These are my 3rd pair of 45 Monoblocks. Previously I used Welborne DRD45 amps. Then I built a pair of Welborne Star Chief 45 Monoblocks.

As far as listening goes, I would be hesitant to pick either the Star Chief amps or the Korneff Amps over each other. They are both great Amps! I prefer the design of the Korneff Clones, as I got my preferences. Quite simply these are the best amplifiers I have had in my System. I will say that the Jeff Korneff Clones are a tad quieter than the Welbornes. I can place my ear inside the Oris Horns and I can barely tell they are powered on. I also like knowing that I have a Jeff Korneff circuit design, as these are known to be one of the finest 45 tube Amps around. I had pretty much settled on the 45 tube over 15 years ago, having also owned a couple 300B amps and Welborne 2A3 Moondogs as well. Still own Welborne 300B Laurel Monoblocks. You know the usual 45 Tube characteristics - Spooky, in the room vocals, etc. etc. - These amps do it all in spades!

I also like that the Korneff Amps are Tube Rectified and are completely point to point wired. (In case I want to modify down the road).

I looked at other Amplifiers, but could not find a Jeff Korneff design, let alone Monoblocks... I don't know, but I may have the only Jeff Korneff Clone Monoblocks out there?

Edits: 05/11/21 05/29/21 05/29/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - TAL - Jeff Korneff 45 Clone Mono Amplifers Review ....... - Cut-Throat 17:04:22 05/11/21 (47)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.