Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Why

If the 2nd and 3rd are in sufficient quantity, they will mask the presence of the higher orders. In addition, it appears that they also add to the sense of detail and soundstage. IMO more research is needed as to why and how of that last bit.

The 3rd is treated by the ear/brain system in the same way as the 2nd- it contributes to 'warmth' and 'body', unlike any of the other odd orders.

This masking seems to be why a tube amp (and especially one with triodes running no feedback) is able to sound smoother than solid state, even though its higher ordered content is at a higher level than solid state amps often have.

I'm really using some short hand here with no discussion of phase margins, gain bandwidth product and the like and the significance of that to the use of feedback, but that's been covered pretty well elsewhere. I'm just mentioned it to point out that the use of no feedback is part of the recipe.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Why - Ralph 13:59:50 10/29/20 (3)
    • RE: Why - morricab 07:24:48 11/03/20 (1)
      • Yes - Ralph 09:25:45 11/03/20 (0)
    • RE: Why - rivervalley817 14:18:42 10/29/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.