Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

PSU underneath

Here's a picture underneath one of the PSUs. Wiring is in 3 dimensions - I'm not fussy about routing wires in straight lines. I use a lot of nylon hexagonal spacers with solder tags at the top to attach parts - you can see them holding some of the capacitors. It means drilling a lot of holes, so not the prettiest to look at on top, but it's very quick and effective. I think of all these amps as prototypes - I could and do change stuff about frequently.

What I like about this system is that I can finish a module outside the chassis. It's just a strip of metal and easy to turn in all directions to work on and solder. When a top plate like this is finished, I can then screw it into the chassis and connect it up. If I want to work on it and change it, I can unscrew it again and just work on that particular module. So easy.

The PSU caps are always standard motor run polypropylene. I use 40uF and 10uF. Cheap and better sounding than electrolytics in my experience.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • PSU underneath - andy evans 02:13:25 09/27/20 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.