Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: "a more linear driver tube"...

Like Ivan303, I also think there's something special going on with the 5670. I am probably one of the few outside of Bottlehead who has heard the Stereomour with the premium iron that comes with BH's Kaiju 300B and Monomour 2A3 amps. I installed my Kajiu iron in a Stereomour. It appreciably improved the sound (to my ears), but the Stereomour still fell considerably short of the Kaiju. Other than the driver tubes (12AT7 in the Stereomour, 5670 in the Kaiju), the amps were essentially identical (besides the output tubes -- but I used very nice EML tubes in both). In fact, the Stereomour with Kaiju iron arguably had an advantage: installed in the Stereomour, the Kaiju plate choke could be used full winding (I think 60H?), whereas in the Kaiju only a partial winding is used (40H?).

Which leads me to think that it's the 5670 that makes (much of) the difference. The only other potential explanation I can think of is the spacious layout of the Kaiju - perhaps greater distances between iron and other components is a contributing factor.

I suspect that there's something not captured by distortion measurements going on here. The Kaiju just sounded "bigger and better".

I would imagine that the Monomours, which take advantage of the full plate choke winding and use 5670 drivers, sound very good indeed.

cheers, Derek

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "a more linear driver tube"... - Deke609 06:05:11 06/16/20 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.