Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

I haven't done any critical listening or comparisons yet because I want to give the tubes some "break-in" time. My Takatsuki 300Bs sounded best after approx. 50 - 100 hours of use. However, here's the Good, the Bad and the Ugly so far:

The Good: The tubes were shipped 2-day express at no charge. I assume the latter was due to the ridiculous manufacturing delay. They also included a couple of very nice WE T-shirts and another WE tchotchke.

Of course everyone wants to know about the sound. I'm very impressed with what I have heard so far. The bass sounds sounds full and extended, the mid-range very smooth and the highs "silky". Based on my experience with the Takatsuki 300Bs, I expect bass and dynamics will improve but they are already more than acceptable. One of the better qualities of these new WE 300Bs is the sound staging. Instruments are well defined in their own space with lots of "bloom". If I had to sum it up, a very beautiful sound.

The Bad: I'm not really sure if this is bad but it's not good either. The tubes tested 78/58 and 79/58 on my TV7 tester. Actually, those are pretty strong readings but my 4-month old Takatsuki 300Bs still test 88 and 92 (I tested them immediately after the WE 300B test). Even my old 1998 reissue WE 300Bs, which I no longer own, tested 86 and 87.

The Ugly: The seals on the bottom of the individual tube boxes were already broken when I received them. When I asked WE about this, they told me that "...for your particular order, an additional round of testing was performed on each 300B after the (boxes) were sealed." I'm not happy about this but I was going to break them anyway, so I won't make a big deal about it.

In summary, a few questionable attributes but there's no denying the sound quality. After a little more usage, I plan to do more critical listening and a direct comparison to the Takatsuki 300Bs. I probably won't keep both pairs and as of now, it could go either way. I'll post another update after the direct comparison.

Gerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.