Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: I am not trying to bash anyone on this subject

Sorry about that!

What I'm referring to is that all the caps I have observed being used as coupling devices, all did the same thing-- squashed dynamic musical
expression in real time... oh, there ARE some forms of dynamics, but these
DO NOT RESEMBLE REAL MUSIC.

Even cheap iron doesn't do this kind of sonic damage to the same extent. Good iron is almost negligible in this respect, even if measured bandwidth is short of ideal bandwidth requirements..

Once again, we have a component (caps) that can measure well, but DOES NOT PERFORM musically. Capacitors operate OUT OF TIME with the signal-- they MODIFY and EMASCULATE it.

Once again, methods must be devised to make the parts that we can
actually buy-- ACTUALLY WORK musically.

Until you begin working with accurate, point-source speakers that are
capable of full room volume at about 1/12 to 1/10 watt, you will
not know what is SO obvious upon listening... capacitors ARE JUNK musically.

I will not use capacitors for anything except power supply filtering-- and then they must be extensively tested and bypass corrected in order to work musically., and I hate to have to do that!

Welcome to the real world, where some parts can measure well, but don't operate well musically.

As usual, people are measuring things that matter the least, and ignoring IMPORTANT things-- which CAN be measured-- but never are because
equipment and standards aren't normally used to measure the thousands of integrated dynamic expressions-- measure EACH in ITS OWN time frame.

Music is a giant composite of thousands of signals. EACH is DIFFERENT and
each has ITS OWN references in ITS OWN dynamic time frame-- each in its own domain..... but-- ALL ARE OPERATING TOGETHER. Not only do they have distinct characteristics, but they also influence each other.

NO ONE can even begin to measure 1% of this. What one CAN do is get the
best possible speakers, and listen to real, live music, and then listen
to recorded sources. They ARE NOT the same thing.

The objective-- the only meaningful one-- is to get your equipment to play the recorded materials in correct timing with the original event-- not the recording.

-Dennis-

Edits: 08/08/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I am not trying to bash anyone on this subject - tube wrangler 09:58:02 08/08/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.