Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: I am curious

Frihed, I meant to add one more thing that may go to the heart of your question.

I wrote in another post that I thought that SET amps and high efficiency speakers could easily render the better sound quality of hi-res digital, and I'm going to repeat it and expound on it here for us SET/HE guys.

Hi-res digital is simply one of the best sources I have ever heard for my stereo system. I do think that most if not all SET/HE aficionados could hear the difference. I think it's time for them to consider a new front end for their systems if they haven't tried this already.

To do it though you have to stick your toes into computer audio. For some of us that's easy, and for some the thought is unpleasant. I'm here to tell you it doesn't have to be that hard. It can be as simple as buying a $250 PC tower from Best Buy, and connecting it to a DAC with a $15 Belkin USB cable. Install JRiver, load your CDs, download some hi-res,and off you go. Frihed's is a simple set up. There are turnkey solutions that are also easy in the $1,000 range that are very high end.

For anybody sitting on the fence I say give it a try. As a lifelong vinyl guy I can tell you the epiphany doesn't hit you until it's finished, and you look at your tablet and scroll down the hundreds and hundreds of albums on your server, and you realize it's all at you fingertips. It's a good feeling. Sounds great too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

Edits: 02/11/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I am curious - Mr_Steady 06:08:56 02/11/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.