Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Help With Amplifier Selection

I think you hit upon synergy - It's not an automatic one amp is better than another - it really depends on the speaker. If he opts for the AN speaker - I would go for the AN amps and if he can't afford the AN amps - the Line Magnetics are very robust clean and have a lot of drive. Cary sounds too stereotypical tube on AN speakers IMO and it comes across as bloated and thick. On another speaker the Cary may be the better match.

I don't think any of it sounds bad - it really comes down to the sound you like. After all, all these makers make different tube output amps - so you also have to choose the specific tube type you like the best. After auditioning 3 similarly price monoblocks from Audio Note I found all three to sound rather astonishingly different from each other. (~8 watts) 2A3 parallel Empress monoblock, (~8 watts) 300B Quest monoblocks and (~2 watt 45 power amp. They don't really sound much at all alike and all three you could make a case for for being the best sounding. (I preferred the 45 and 2A3)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.