Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: EML solid Plate 45 vs. EML mesh Plate 45 .........better for SET ?

I've not compared the 45 solid and mesh, but i have done for 2A3s. Assuming the characteristics translate to 45s, this is what I experienced in my system:

Meshies are resolving across most of the frequency range: nuanced, airy, with great depth and lovely treble. The I did not find them to be lacking body, but they are more distant. Not as linear in the bass (in my system). Perhaps more mid to tail of note.

Solid plates are robust, dynamic, very linear and balanced sounding. A closer presentation; more palpable. More traditionally HiFi through the upper mids and treble. Perhaps more front of note.

The solid plates are excellent all-rounders, but the meshies have some magic for the right system and music. I suspect that an amp built specifically for the meshies would be superior to an amp built specifically for solids... for me.

I like both, and I found I could easily adapt to either, but it took longer to get used to the solids after running mesh... But I now run solids due to their higher rated dissipation, which may not be an issue for you and 45s.

Cheers,

"Confusion of goals and perfection of means seems to characterise our age." Albert Einstein

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.