Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: SET Power supply in series with output trans

Yes, you are correct: that link reveals only part of the story. See the link below for the rest.

>So will having a smaller last cap in the PS cause a low freq response dip?

It is not possible to answer this question because it is too vague. What value would you assign to a "smaller" cap? By "low freq response dip" you mean an attenuation of low frequencies relative to the overall frequency response?

>If no then i would assume that the smaller the last cap the better and possibly bypassed with many smaller caps too.

Assumptions are just that: a thing that is accepted as true, without proof.

I suggest that you experiment. Size the PS capacitor that feeds the output tube commensurate with its function. Its function is to ensure that there is sufficient filtering in the PS to eliminate power supply noise and to supply instantaneous current to the output tube for transients (some argue that on transients a low impedance PS is more important than large reservoir caps; another reason to experiment for yourself).

Notice that for the "Elliano Ultrapath" the example shows 100uF for the PS cap and about 40uF for the "ultrapath" cap. I would start there. Just as important as the amount of capacitance is the type of capacitor; they should be very high quality such as an Wima MKP 4.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: SET Power supply in series with output trans - Palustris 09:59:41 10/29/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.