Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: 2A3 SET & Quads ESL 63: YES!!!

I have been adding in a couple of chokes and WIMA DC Link capacitors to the power supply. So, now I have an L1 C1 L2 C2 C3 power supply. Additionally, I removed the hum potentiometer which was good and bad, as it added some hum but also made the tonal balance better and more transparent. Since I have a small bit of hum, I am going to try Rod Coleman filament regulators. Once the Coleman regulators go in, then I may go with an Ultrapath schematic for filament supply. This will remove a large capacitor from the audio signal.

My system sounds better than ever. Super transparent without any glare or harshness. I also had to rewire the power transformer and used 12 gauge silver coated copper wire. It sounds better than the cheapie wire that came from the factory.

I am looking to replace the power transformer, but have yet to find any specific brand / model that looks like a sonic improvement. Any ideas on this?

Pat

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 2A3 SET & Quads ESL 63: YES!!! - banpuku 14:21:53 10/07/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.