Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Here's a thought

I admittedly got a little lazy and used that same operating point but on the very similar 6SL7 instead, since I could obtain the parameters for that tube much easier. Following that, I went back and had a look at the 6EM7 datasheet and for your set up as shown, the OP is at Va = 152V, Vg = -2V, ra = 50K and mu = 64. I didn't check your math, but keep in mind that the impedance looking into the cathode is in parallel with Rk and I don't think that you took that into account. In any case, I've developed an excel spreadsheet that calculates Zo, gain, etc., so with the aforementioned ra and mu values that correspond to this specific OP, the numbers become:

Zout -- bypassed = 33.3K
A -- bypassed = 42.7

Zout -- unbypassed = 64.3K
A -- unpypassed = 22.9

As you can see, the input section of the EM7 is hardly high gain in the unbypassed config. Going with say a 6SN7 that's going to yield a mu of ~17 will not make that much of a difference, but of course that will have to be a judgement call on your part. Just let us know what happens and if you happen to try both schemes it'll be all the more interesting.

Edits: 07/13/16 07/13/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Here's a thought - sideliner 20:02:34 07/13/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.