Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: "Everything on the bias circuit is audible"

"There is a certain level where the builder becomes aware that most electronic measurements and theory don't correlate with the resulting sound quality. So he starts looking elsewhere.

From my experience, people who don't look further always build limited devices that are trapped by their own boundaries."

I don't see precise enough statements here to be able to evaluate them properly. In the case under discussion, of fixed bias supplies, I was assuming that by "fixed bias" you meant a supply that was of constant voltage.

It is easy enough to arrange such a supply to be essentially of any arbitrarily desired degree of constancy. If you are saying that you have found that by playing with the various components in such an "ideal" supply you can obtain sounds that you find more pleasing to the ear, then that is certainly logically possible. It might be, for example, that a bit of mains ripple superimposed on the bias supply might be more appealing to some listeners. Or a frequency-dependent colouration caused by insufficient smoothing capacitance for achieving constant voltage across the spectrum.

But any such deviations from a truly fixed voltage bias supply would easily be measurable by using suitable test equipment. Whether "most electronic measurements" would be able to pick up the effects would be dependent on how you define or quantify "most." I could easily believe that many measurements performed around the world might be of insufficient accuracy to pick up the effects at the necessary level of precision. But that is quite different from the implication that is tacitly, I think, suggested by your statement, namely that no possible measurements could be made that would be able to correlate the sounds with the measurements.

Chris

Edits: 04/08/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.