Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Alan Bohne in Gregory Michigan - My Cautionary Tale

Has anyone else dealt with this guy and had similar experiences?

I missed out on a nice Eico amp this seller named aerotech50 on ebay had listed last September. I messaged him and asked if the deal fell through to please let me know.
He replied that he made custom amps and he had many parts and transformers and could build amps that would be musical and were reasonably priced. He sounded like he knew his stuff and I asked him to build me two amplifiers, one integrated using old fisher transformers and another amp, a 300B power amplifier. He said he needed $700 to start and already had the parts available to start them. He also needed a pair of 300Bs to use in testing the power amp. I promptly send them off to him.
He kept in touch and all seemed well until after he sent me an email needing more money as he said a great shipment of wood came in the local mill and at that point he had reported a good deal of progress on the two amplifiers.
After I sent the balance to him in early October and he notified me one amp was done, the 300b amp assembled but awaiting him voicing it in Early November. After that I did not hear from him again. I left phone messages, emails, text messages.. I get a response on his phone in late November saying it was his daughter and he was in hospital for a few weeks. She said she could send the amps out in a few days. Nothing happened. After more text message attempts, now per the text messages it is his wife. She said he got released in November and in December trying to give this guy every benefit of the doubt I followed up on both of my amps. No response from him but wife says they can send me a refund or ship the amps. More time goes by- nothing happens.

After 5 months of waiting, I go to paypal and file complaints for non receipt of merchandise. After explaining multiple times what happened and after finally complaining directly with the credit card company - I get my payments refunded. I am still out the expensive 300B tubes.

During some of my correspondence with the wife- there were other amps he was working on/shipping out. I would find it hard to believe I am the only one this seller/builder has done this too.

Edits: 04/11/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Alan Bohne in Gregory Michigan - My Cautionary Tale - Love_Tube_Amps 23:22:54 04/07/16 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.