Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Many many problems

A 6db loss for every doubling of distance only applies outdoors (in a wide open space) where there is nothing for the sound to bounce off of and return to the listener.

I have mixed a lot of live rock shows outdoors but only once, that I can think of, was in a wide open space with nothing for the sound to bounce off of.

That was the Cherry Festival, Traverse City Michigan. The stage was set up at the end of the peninsula facing back towards the city. **The concrete all around the peninsula is lower than the grass area and the one small building is about 250ft from the stage.**

This is a case where a recording made off the 2 bus (the signal from the mixing console that drives the amplifiers that drive the speaker system) can sound good.

Normally the mixer has to compensate for the "ills" of the room and a 2 bus recording (known as a "board recording") sounds awful.

Being totally outdoors, the only thing I was compensating for was the speakers. The board recording actually sounded a lot like the show.

Note, a normal SPL meter measures only direct sound. They do make special SPL meters that measure direct plus reverberate sound.

But you don't even need one. Just walk around your room and listen. 6db is a lot, 12db is huge. You will hear spl differences as you move around your listening room but they will be due to standing waves within the room, not distance from the speakers. And unless you have some really bad standing waves in you room you will not find large spl changes. Changes in the sound, yes, but not large changes in overall spl.

BTW "If we are dealing with a 94.6 dB speaker, and let's say the single ended 6L6 puts out say 8 Watts (being generous), this gives a maximum SPL at 1m of about 103.6dB" I think we all have stereos.

Two 94.6db speakers, each with 8 watts driving them to 103.6db spl, would yield 106.6db spl total.

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 03/16/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.