Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: The only problem I've ever had with 845s involved the 845T

Dave - Thanks for sharing that tale.

I bought a pair of Shuguang 856Cs about 4 years ago, direct from HK or China. Unfortunately one was broken on arrival and I gave up trying to get it replaced. However the limited tests I could do on a single channel led me to think this was a much better valve than the original 845s supplied with the amps.

As the originals were 10 years old I replaced them with a pair of Psvane HiFi tubes. An improvement over my original 845s but probably not as good as the Cs.

I read a bit about the Psvane 845T and found a UK supplier who claimed they were very good. They were 3 times the price of the HiFi ones from the same manufacturer, so I anticipate they'll be better sound-wise. My supplier is sending me a fresh pair with a "return carriage paid" label for me to return the faulty ones. I'm hoping for lovely music next week!

Of course, as soon as I'd posted about my T purchase a couple of guys here said "big mistake - you should have gone for the Psvane WE845s". Well, they're probably better still, but double the price of the Ts and 4+x the price of HiFi or C. If I bought the WEs, someone else would no doubt have said "big mistake - for just twice that price you could have found some NOS ones" Maybe it's best never to post anything here!

As an aside, I've been away from AA for 4 or 5 years and recently returned to seek ideas for replacing my tube amps for a solid state one that would offer similar sound - but better! Most of the suggestions were without much merit - I tried a few, but they were well short of the enjoyment-factor that a good SET offers. A Sudgen has offered the best SS sound to date. However one suggestion stuck in my mind - Accuphase Class A amps, probably the A36 or its predecessors. These are daft prices and virtually unheard of in UK - and few and far between in US too I understand. They've never been reviewed by Stereophile as far as I know.

In the complete absence of any A36 in UK (new or used), the more I read about them the more I thought the A36 may be the best SS amp for my Avantgarde speakers. Well today (and please don't tell anyone) I found a 1 year old used one offered by an Accuphase dealer in Denmark. After a quick phone call, I've rather rashly bought it unseen and unheard. I'll learn next week if I've made another "big mistake". I sincerely hope not but I'll be able to compare it directly with my newly re-tubed Cyber 845 monos.

Peter

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The only problem I've ever had with 845s involved the 845T - cawson@onetel.com 08:01:24 02/19/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.