Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Best non-DHT SET amp

Hi,

Maybe you are asking the wrong question?? What is the efficiency of your speaker load ?

I build Type 45 two stage DC amps, with unique approaches, and my present builds have TONS of drive on my ALTEC home system.

Some of the things that give it drive, not commonly done are as follows:

(1) Improved internal wiring, multiple wires in parallel, equal to 9 AWG, in spots, to get PEAK current expression at the speaker voice coil

(2) No large caps, which sound SLOW !! About 50 uF maximum.

(4) L1/C1/L2/C2 B+ filters, with no L over 10 OHMS DCR...very very important.

(5) For my own use, with a source-fed power supply, I make the AC wiring to the primary of the power transformer ALL 9 AWG equivalent, right up to the winding, ie : even under the end bell. ( Will post photos soon of that, as I will be doing this in the near future. )

This made a nice improvement on my Type 45 amp.

(6) Hate to admit this, but I have added a " Fuse and Thermistor Delete " switch to my DIY 45 amp, which, when being used I call an " Attended Listening " switch.

Its good for lotsa extra peak drive through the amp, readily heard through the ALTEC speakers. No one I know has ever done this.

Its almost impossible for me to go back to a conventional implementation, as the COMBINATION of (1) through (6) above is totally addictive, its really exciting to listen to. My Type 45 amp has LOTSA drive and detail into the speaker, up the wahzoo !!

On good high efficiency speakers, an IDHT Finals tube will have a hard time beating a Type 45, IF the 45 amp is executed as above. Most amps however, unfortunately for their listeners, are not ! Its a shame to throw out the baby with the bath water !!

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.