Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Best non-DHT SET amp

You're using a 45 so we can safely assume you have hi-eff speakers. My experience with lowthers, altec 604s and model 19s as well as various coral, goodmans etc is that regardless of the efficiency numbers you will need more watts than you would immediately think if you want to have party volume in a normal size room. By normal I mean something like 14 x 25 x 8 feet. If you have a nice cozy sized room of 8 x 12 x 8 then small speakers and low power will be fine.
If you like the "Little girl with a guitar" music, knock yourself out with 1.5watts and 100dB speakers. You can pretend that they're not clipping or overloading on every transient but you have to remember that they are. Nobody gets a free lunch.
I often read that people are happy with 80 to 85 dB levels and I'm sure that they are happy with that. I however would prefer that I can crank it up when I'm listening to full orchestral music or some lovely metal head music. Frankly listening to Tool with 1.5 Watts leaves me cold as does an attempt at realistic volumes for Beethoven with no watts. I listen to a wide variety of music and so do not want to be coralled by some cheesey underpowered amp and insensitive speakers. Your mileage may differ so keep it to yourself, this is just my opinion.
I recently read someone with Altec A7s claiming that they would somehow produce low bass or mid bass by mass damping. This flies in the face of physics and that persons assertions that doubling up on ply wood thickness would create voids and that adding bricks would not is another example of why people don't actually want good sounding speakers just speakers that sound good to them.

Rant over. Thank you for your time.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Best non-DHT SET amp - kyle 20:28:36 02/01/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.