Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: set amplifiers... Just pondering ideas on class a tube amps that are

You really need to be using higher than 93 dB /1 Watt/1 meter speakers, to get the best out of SET amps.

The best sounding SET amps will be low powered.

I suggest you use 100 dB or higher speakers, and you MAY be able to go to 98 dB rated, but 100 dB and above is IDEAL for SET amps. The problem is, most "good looking " SET amps are not too high in performance. How is sounds to you, NOT how it looks, should be your guide.

After many years in this game, in 2016 I prefer to use good horn loaded speakers and LOW powered SET amps which I build myself. Nothing, to my ears, does what a horn-load does on a 15 inch woofer, on piano, lifelike dynamic shading, etc, 'least in my room and in my experience. For highs, you need a simple two way, with a good compression driver/ high frequency horn, assuming you own a good sounding amp, ...gets it done nicely.

At home, I am in the process of developing an ALTEC A7-800 system, heavily modified, and I use my own DIY Type 45 amp, which does FINE on such efficient speakers in my 12 by 18 ( small ) listening room.

I personally feel that people who use SETS with large final tubes, to power less than 98 dB / 1 Watt/ 1 meter speakers are having fun, but missing the boat. Its hard to find and beat a good 45 implementation, or a superb ( eg : Serious Stereo ) 2A3 implementation. 100 dB speaker is the START point for doing SET amps systems, "as best as it gets."

ALTEC is your high efficiency speaker starting and perhaps ending point ( GPA, etc ), and its almost impossible to beat, for the money spent.

Have fun,

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.