Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Another thought on phase.

The idea of absolute phase is that ideally when sound pressure depresses the microphone diaphragm, we want the speaker to push the cone outwards. Right? It doesn't matter how many phase reversals occur during the mastering and distribution chain as long as the phase is ultimately correct at the speaker.

Now consider that sound is mostly sine waves due to our atmospheric pressure, but square waves would behave the same. So if the audio signal is out of phase by 180 degrees, it will just be half time delayed by the frequency period at that moment. Note that the sound doesn't simply depress the microphone diaphram, it vibrates it. Same goes for the speaker cone.

And considering that everything else, i.e the whole orchestra/band will also be delayed by the same relative amount, how can this be audible? Consider this analogy, the recording was made lets say in 1965. How much time phase shift has occurred by 2015 when we play it. It's irrelevant!

Of course if different microphones are out of phase during the recording process, that cannot be corrected on the playback side - at least not with a simple DPDT switch.

Edits: 11/20/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.