Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Unlikely to be possible

Absolute phase isn't a new concept, and I remember that it was investigated by a few reputable groups in the mid-'80s. The double-blind results were indistinguishable to listeners who were generally regarded as being "audio-aware." :) That was with solid state gear however, not tubes, so I can't respond to potential results using an asymmetrical amplifier. On the other hand, distortion in the SETs I build is very low, so much so that I don't consider their even-order contribution to be sufficient to produce an audible sonic signature.

Incidentally, even-order distortion is not confined to positive-negative asymmetry. A square wave can generate huge amounts of even-order energy and still be completely symmetrical in this way. It only need have a duty cycle other than 50%. I have personally witnessed this effect using lab-grade spectrum analyzers and variable duty cycles, and it can be simulated using the FFT function in SPICE programs. The point I'm making is that if absolute phase were audible (and I believe it's not), an asymmetrical amplifier probably isn't required in order to hear it.

Edits: 11/15/15 11/15/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.